12 December 2011

Mr. Darcy Week (1)

Well, my review week was a bust, but it's not too late for Mr. Darcy Week. :) (Which was actually supposed to start yesterday.) Anyhoo, here is day one: My Favorite Mr. Darcy.
 

To be honest, I have seen only one other movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, which was the 1940's version with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier. I didn't really care much for that one. When I saw the 2005 version, I was very much hooked to that movie. It is definitely one of my favorites. I love the way it was filmed, and obviously, I loved Matthew Macfadyen as Mr. Darcy. I really loved that version of the character. I was sort of impressed when I found he had never even read Pride and Prejudice before playing Mr. Darcy, and only basing his character off of the script, I thought that was pretty good. Because it was almost exactly how I pictured Mr. Darcy. It was a good difference, because he seemed more like a real and more likable person than book Darcy. For me, anyway.
I do plan to watch the BBC version with Colin Firth (one of my favorite actors) - it seems like every other Darcy book I've read refers to that adaptation, so of course it has become a must-see for me. So who knows, my favorite Mr. Darcy might change. But right now, it is definitely from the 2005 Pride and Prejudice; Matthew Macfadyen.

No comments: