12 January 2011

The Summoning.

Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal.
Source: Library Book.
Rating: 4 out of 5.
Book 1 of 3 in The Darkest Powers Trilogy.

Chloe Saunders finds herself in a group home for mentally unstable teens after one very bad afternoon at school, where she starts seeing, and talking, to dead people. And they can see and talk to her just as clearly. The group home is Lyle House, and as Chloe's stay lengthens, she begins to see that things there aren't what she initially thought they were. And neither are her housemates: Simon, Derek, Liz, Rae, and Tori. As terrifying secrets unfold, Chloe and her friends find themselves plotting an escape - and Chloe is ultimately betrayed by someone she always held close in her heart.

I can safely say I am now a paranormal fan, or, at least, a Kelley Armstrong fan. Personally I had a slow start with this one, but once I got into the story I could hardly put it down. I became pretty involved with the story and all of the patients at Lyle House. I just have this strong need to know what is going to happen to/with all of them. Since Chloe is our narrator, the reader knows only exactly what she does, and the author did a great job unfolding things and there is still enough uncertainty to want to continue on to the next book in the trilogy.
I just love Chloe and want so bad for her to reach her potential and find a way to get out of the mess she is in. I'm also interested in seeing how things develop between her and Derek. I don't know how exactly, but when he was first really described in the story, I just knew there was something different about him. I hate to say it but I didn't care much for Rae at all, she was just a little too strong personality-wise for me. I know that isn't exactly a bad thing for her situation, but I just didn't find her very likable. But I do hope that will change as I read the other books.
While the others are explained, I was left wondering about Tori and what she was doing there. If it was as Chloe thought or if there is something special about her as well, I hope that will be explained in the next book.
So overall this was a pretty satisfying read, with interesting, otherworldly characters.

No comments: