31 July 2008

murder and monsters.

Last night I read my two favorite (so far) Sherlock Holmes stories: The Adventure of The Speckled Band, and The Adventure of The Copper Beeches. Very good choice to have made.

Also, I started Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, which I bought a few weeks ago for my birthday. I'm still in the preface though, which is pretty interesting. I've been wanting to read this for the longest time, and now that I've started it I can barely wait to get into the actual story, I'm just so in the mood for a literary thrill. I hope this book will be enough to satisfy that mood. :p

Later today I hope to make it over to the library to pick up The Art of Racing in the Rain, by Garth Stein. I've heard good things about it so I'm happy that my turn finally came up for it. Also, the doggie narrative factor is great because I love dogs. I hope it won't disappoint.

And, speaking of library book turns, I put Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series on hold. I have a very long wait though. Each book has over 100 holds on it already. Ugh. It would be easier just to buy them but I can rarely afford new books. That's why I'm such a library addict. :)

So, I think I'm doing okay with my challenge, considering that around this time last year I wasn't that close at all to having read 22 books. Plus, four short stories. I don't think I read any short stories last year. But this year I've read two Beatrix Potter Tales, and two Sherlock Holmes Adventures. Even if I don't make it to my goal of fifty, I think I'll still feel pretty good about this years reading. But, it is only just the end of July, lots more time to build up the number. :)

No comments: