10 July 2008

Down All the Days.

I finished reading this book, Down All the Days, by Christy Brown, last night, and I was shocked, amused, and heartbroken while reading this book. It is about a (lower, I assumed) middle class family living in the slums of Dublin, and what goes on (mainly) through the eyes of one of the sons of the family, whom is disabled. I think this book shows what a truly great writer Christy Brown was. This was lyrical, poetical, and sometimes downright vulgar. But I did indeed love that. For it's different style than what I've gotten used to - it's always nice to be emotionally shocked by a book and fall in love with the language and style of writing the author had. While it is a great read for the heart, I don't think it would be for everyone's heart.

No comments: