10 March 2008

Book Survey 1.

What was your favourite children's book?
I don't remember reading much as a child. I don't remember being read to either. But I guess if I had to pick one, scrounging around my memory; it would be one of Beatrix Potter's tales. Or "Super Fudge." (or whatever it is called, with the little boy that was called "Fudge".)

What book have you read over and over?
The Hobbit. Three times now.

What was your favourite bedtime story?
Never had one.

Do you like to be read to?
No, not really. I like reading myself, quietly. And occasionally I like to be the one who is reading to someone else.

What's your favourite fairytale?
Sleeping Beauty.

What did your parents always read to you?
I don't think they ever read to me. I don't remember, anyway.

What's your favourite book?
Yeah like I could pick just one. My top five are: The Hobbit, Jane Eyre, The Phantom of the Opera, Fish Face, Mark of the Cross, and Phantom.

What book are you reading now?
The Pirates, and Ireland: true stories of life on the emerald isle.

What book do you think best represents your life?
There isn't one.

What book would you like to live in, if possible?
The Hobbit, any of the Little House books, or The Enchanted Forest Chronicles would be fun.

Did reading a book ever change your life?
No, but there are a few books that have opened my eyes a little wider on some things.

Who is your literary hero or heroine?
I've never really thought of that before..I've always loved Francie Nolan. Also the Opera ghost was very touching in his own way. Lady Beatrice was wonderfully strong, too.

What book always makes you happy to read?
Mostly children's books. The Hobbit, The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, the Little House series. I love all of those. Also L.M. Montgomery's Anne series. Mark of the Cross was a great read, as well as Phantom by Susan Kay.

What book always makes you sad to read?
There are plenty of books that have had their sad moments, but none as sad as Firehouse by David Halberstam.

Who is your favourite author/poet?
Tennyson. Poe. Laura Ingalls Wilder. Mario Puzo. Betty Smith. Patricia C. Wrede. L.M. Montgomery. J.R.R. Tolkien. Beatrix Potter. C.S. Lewis. Gaston Leroux. Susan Kay. Judith Pella. Maeve Binchy.

What is your favourite series?
The Little House Books. The Enchanted Forest Chronicles. The Anne of Green Gables series. The Narnia books.

Is the book always better than the movie?
Yes, I usually love the book better than the movie.

What would be your pen name if you were an author?
I'm not sure. Probably drop the first name and use my middle name and my last name.

Do you ever cry when you read a book?
Yes.

Do you like reading short stories?
Yes.

Do you have a favourite short story?
Oh there are far too many.

What author can't you stand?
I think it might be Thomas Tessier. But I haven't actually read any of his books, because the thing is, is that the last one I picked up from the library (because I thought it was another book I wanted, there were two, with the same title, his was the wrong one.) I brought it home because I thought I would give it a try. But when I sat down to read it, I read a few sentences, then I flipped through it, and decided I don't think I would read that book afterall. It just didn't strike me and pull me in like I wanted it to. I can't really go as far as saying I can't stand him though, I just don't find his writing interesting.

Who do you wish you could write like?
No one. I don't want to copy anybody else's style, or fully be like anyone else's style. I want to have my own.

Do you still read books you used to like as a child?
Yes.

If you could be any literary character, who would you be?
Oh that is kind of a hard one. I could never pick only one... Laura Ingalls, because she had an intriguing wonderful life. Anne Shirley, I've always wanted to wander around Avonlea and have a best friend like Diana Barry. Princess Cimorene, because she gets to talk with dragons and learn magic. Leticia from Mark of The Cross, because she gets Theo in the end.

If you could marry any literary character, who would you marry?
I don't know..perhaps Gilbert Blythe, or even the Phantom - now he could be an interesting, yet dark, husband...

No comments: