11 May 2012

New Author: Suzanne Enoch. (+Series Overview: The Adventurer's Club.)

When I first picked up The Care and Taming of a Rogue, I had no idea how much I would like this new favorite author: Suzanne Enoch. Even though the Adventurers' Club series didn't go like I thought it would, like I'd hoped it would, I still really liked it. It even pushed me out of my comfort zone a little. But I'll talk about that in a little bit.
I found her books to be fun and full of little twists and surprises that I couldn't get enough of. I'm really picky about my romance authors. I definitely have a comfort zone in that genre, so naturally I was a little wary of starting a series by a new-to-me author. But that first book really hooked me. I loved the characters and the story as a whole. It was refreshing, and made me feel good about trying a new author I was unsure about.

As for the Adventurer's Club; I was happy with it until I got to the last book. This is where I was pushed out of my comfort zone on a different level. I know there are no set rules as to how a series is supposed to pan out and even what characters' stories are told..but I have always noticed a pattern of sorts among different authors/series/trilogies. There are no seemingly random pop-up characters that weren't even mentioned in the first book or any other books for that matter. There are usually at least a couple of familiar characters in each story. This series didn't really have that. Which bothered me, because of my cozy little comfort zone.
In the first book there were three very interesting characters to me, but, I didn't get to find out how their stories ended, or started, for that matter. The second book, I didn't recognize any of the characters but one: The Duke of Sommerset. He appears in all three books, and the more I got to know of him, the more I wanted for his story to be told, but it isn't. I don't know if it ever will be and that is just SO unfair! This disappoints me. It almost feels like a form of literary torture. You meet a great character, but you don't get to find out how he/she got to where they are in life, or where they're going to end up. I hate that. I really do. It is maddening. However, I did like the first two books enough to get over the Duke of Sommerset's story not being told (truly), to move on to what I believe is the last book in the series. The book in which I liked very few things about it. But I won't get into that since I covered it already in my review that posted yesterday.
Simply put, the Adventurer's Club was good enough for me to continue on to another series by Ms. Enoch: the Notorious Gentlemen. I've already read the first book and I really loved it. (I plan to review it soon.) I already looked ahead in this trilogy and the other two books indeed have familiar characters from the first book. Which I am really looking forward to reading, especially the last book - because I totally love that character from the first book. I can hardly wait to get to it. So yes, I have much better hopes for this second venture with her books which I am actually really excited about because the characters are so lovable and that first book in this second trilogy was definitely up to standard.
After looking at my TBR list, I have two other books that start a series, and one stand-alone by this author. After seeing how this second trilogy is going to go, I am not worried about starting them. I am already four books into her work, after all. :)
If you're a romance fan and are looking for someone new to try out, and if you haven't already, I recommend giving Suzanne Enoch a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

No comments: