28 July 2011

Tempted by the Night.

Author: Elizabeth Boyle.
Genre: Fantasy, Historical-Romance.
Source: Nook Book.
Rating: 4 out of 5.
Book two in The Marlowe Series.

Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
A Secret Admirer . . .
They say he's a shameless rake who cares for nothing but pleasure, a rogue who spends his nights in London's lustiest locales, gambling and carousing until dawn. But Lady Hermione Marlowe refuses to believe that the handsome gentleman she's loved from afar for so long could be so wicked. If only she had a way to prove to the ton that Lord Rockhurst is as proper as the rest. If only she knew what he really did under cover of the night . . .
A Clandestine Encounter . . .
Lord Rockhurst knows what they say about him, and he doesn't care. Let them think his nights are filled with craven debauchery. Only he knows his true purpose, his dangerous goal. But when a mysterious woman falls into his arms—and thereby saves his life—Rockhurst will struggle to save his secret. Who is this creature with such tempting curves and an enticing touch? Rockhurst can only wonder how he can trust her . . . for he knows he cannot resist her.

My Review:
To be honest, if I were to go by the synopsis alone, I would have passed this book by. But I have read the first book, and if I hadn't I wouldn't have gotten to read this lovely love story. I wouldn't have seen another side to Lady Hermione's character, and I would not have learned Lord Rockhurst's extremely surprising secret. The synopsis isn't exactly on the mis-leading side, as it just plainly leaves a few key factors of the story out, which I greatly appreciated, because it made finding out what was in this book that made it so special, and well, surprising - that much more fun.
Elizabeth Boyle is one of my new favorite authors, because a) she can write really lovable and relatable characters, and b) her writing style is just really fun/funny at times.
I could not wait for Lady Hermione to find the ring and see what her wish would be, and once it was granted, I could hardly wait to find out what Lord Rockhurst was really up to, but I was also a little worried for Hermione and what she might find out. I didn't want to end up as horrified as she could have been with the possibilities of what he could have been up to. While she did end up horrified, I was a little...wary. Because that aspect of the story was totally unexpected. Once I got over it though, it was a fun little adventure I could hardly wait to get to the part I really wanted to read; where Lord Rockhurst finds out who his mystery lady was. I was also a little scared of that part though, because what if Hermione's (and okay, mine as well) worst fears were confirmed? I would have been so heartbroken for her, and completely mad at Lord Rockhurst - which I honestly did not want to be since I liked his character so much.
Overall this was as much a fun and entertaining read as the first book in the series was - which I am glad I picked up.

No comments: