25 July 2011

The Courtesan's Daughter. (Short Review.)

Author: Claudia Dain.
Genre: Historical-Romance.
Source: Library Book.
Rating: 3 out of 5.
Book one in The Courtesan Chronicles.

Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
Young Lady Caroline's prospects for a suitable match are severely limited by her mother's infamous past. Before Lady Sophia Dalby entered London society, she was a highly desired courtesan. What man of title, position, and wealth would marry a courtesan's daughter?
Sophia's solution is to purchase a husband for Caroline-the Earl of Ashdon-agreeing to settle his gambling debts if he will take her daughter's hand. Insulted, Caroline refuses to have a husband who was bought for her.
But after meeting the fiery Lord Ashdon, she wonders if it wouldn't be satisfying to have him pay for her, perhaps with a priceless pearl necklace? With Sophia pulling the strings, Lord Ashdon may get more than he bargained for and Caroline may get just what she wants.

My Review:I don't have very much to say about this book, hence my short review note in the title...I didn't like Caro, I didn't even really like Lord Ashdon, but, I loved Sophia. Even though she did seem a little too perfectly clever at times, I couldn't help but like her. Sometimes you just need to get to know/read someone like her. She knew what was best, and she knew how to get it done. I'm not too excited about book 2 in this series, but I am looking forward to finding out what Sophia will do next and how she will help the next young woman seeking her at the end of this book.
The writing was just okay, and comical in the right places, which I think really helped with my being able to finish this book. The story did move right along, which I truly appreciated. Not really a bad story here actually, I just couldn't connect with the two most important characters. I do hope I will be able to at least like the next hero and heroine in the next book. (Which does look a little more promising.)



No comments: