23 March 2011

The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle.

Author: L.J. Smith
Genre
: YA, Fantasy.
Source: Personal Copy.
Rating: 4 out of 5.
Books 1 and 2 in The Vampire Diaries.

Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.
Stefan: brooding and mysterious, he seems to be the only one who can resist Elena, even as he struggles to protect her from the horrors that haunt his past.
Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him. Determined to have Elena, he'd kill to possess her.
Collected here in one volume for the first time, volumes one and two of The Vampire Diaries, the tale of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.

My Review:
I loved these books so much I don't even know where to begin.
I guess I could start with how different the TV show is from them. While I am a big fan of the show, it cannot compare to the books. (As is usually the case between books/movies/tv in my opinion.) There are just so many differences, after reading this I don't even know why they made so many changes. I mean, I guess I could see why, to make their show work of course. But, just why did they have to change it so much? I want to see the original book come to life, not someone else's fantasy about how they possibly think it should have been... I do still love the show though, Ian Somerhalder has made Damon one of my favorite vampires, and, individually, imagining no books, I think the show is pretty good. But comparing it with the books, it could actually be a little disappointing - depending on how big a fan you are I suppose. But I digress.
I just couldn't get over the ending of The Struggle. It was just so shocking even though I kind of new what would happen, but I didn't know it would happen like that. That it would be so potentially devastating.
I didn't really understand Damon at first, he just seemed like pure evil and I actually hated that. But as I got deeper into the story I really started liking him and I can't exactly explain why. I guess it was easier because I didn't really like Stefan. I don't know what it was. He even seemed a little scarce, cut-off. I just remember Damon having a stronger presence in the book. I think, for me, Damon is what I like to see in a vampire. On the cruel side, but still somehow...understanding to the one he is trying to control. Sort of a monster, and sneaky about it. A nicer word would be cunning, but I don't think Damon would truly appreciate that nice word. Stefan is not so bad though. The safer type of vampire. Just wants everything to be okay and protect those he loves. I find nothing wrong with that. It's just that Damon is more of an exciting character for me.
Moving on from Damon-raving, I found the story to be perfect. Good pace, good writing, and great characters in their own right. Since I have been watching the show since the beginning, the book was more refreshing because it's the original work. I feel like I found out some secrets, and I definitely met some characters that deserved to be known. I am so glad I finally read these. I am dying to move on to the next books to find out what happens next.

Other cover love:


No comments: