17 June 2009

Chez Moi.

In Chez Moi by Agnes Desarthe, Myriam opens a restaurant in a quiet neighborhood in Paris, and she has no idea what she is getting herself into.
As her restaurant's (Chez Moi) business begins to pick up, the mystery of Myriam's life begins to unfold. It was interesting to see how she went from wife to mother to circus cook. While her past is very appealing, I wish I could say the same for Myriam in the present. She seemed a little...strange really. But on the same side - likeable. I felt bad for her, especially for the poor relationship she had with her son. I think that was the saddest aspect of the story. Also, I just couldn't make sense of it. Why did she let her motherly instincts and love fly out of the window like that? I hated that about her, but I digress. There are many little side things and characters that just fit in with the flow of Chez Moi, which I rather liked. Such as Ben's sort of "take charge" character, and Hannah and Simone as well. Though Hannah and Simone were such small characters..I liked them while they were there.

No comments: