23 October 2008

Booking Through Thursday.

"Name a favorite literary couple and tell me why they are a favorite. If you cannot choose just one, that is okay too. Name as many as you like–sometimes narrowing down a list can be extremely difficult and painful. Or maybe that’s just me."
When I decided I would answer this, I thought it would be easy, but now that I think further into it, it is hard, because I just love a couple that makes my heart beat quicker when they are together, and unfortunately, being as single as I am, I have acquired many a favorite literary couple. And now it is hard to choose even a top five, but well, (in no particular order) here goes:
  1. Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe: I just love them. What is not to love? They have me on the edge of my seat with their quarreling and wonderment at whether or not they will be together, and then, they are -and it is completely wonderful and I want to cheer them on in their relationship.
  2. Lady Chatterley and Oliver Mellors: Even though they weren't exactly together in the end, I love them. I found them somewhat complicated and for some reason that compelled me. They didn't seem like a "traditional" literary couple at all, and I think that's why I find them a favorite, they were different.
  3. Emma Bau and Kommandant Richwalder: They were so tragic, doomed from the start, and I wanted to cry when he died, and when he turned on her in a snap, it hurt. Emotionally fulfilling read, to say the least.
  4. Jo March and Professor Bhaer: How can I not love Jo and her beloved Professor. There is nothing like a heroine you just completely relate to and then find you'd like her man for yourself. lol. They are just both so lovable in my opinion.
  5. Erik (The Phantom) and Meg Giry: What, the Phantom of the Opera without his beloved Christine, am I nuts? Nope. Sadie Montgomery has started something wonderful in her book, "The Phoenix of the Opera." She pairs him with Meg Giry and I cannot possibly be more thrilled over that. Honestly, I don't think Christine could ever have been truly his. She just wasn't right for him, and half the time she truly thought him to be an angel sent by her father, and then there's the Raoul factor. Too many things going against him in my opinion. His love for her was much stronger and I don't think she ever would have loved him like that in return.

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

Interesting list. I could add another one.