08 May 2012

The Care and Taming of a Rogue.

Author: Suzanne Enoch
Genre: Historical-Regency Romance.
Format: E-book.
Book 1 of 3 in the Adventurers' Club.

Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
How to tell if a man is an unrepentant rogue:
1. He has no patience for frivolous debutantes
2. He kisses you after a single dance
3. He makes you forget yourself and kiss him back . . .
After years away from London, Captain Bennett Wolfe is back—and alive, much to Society's surprise. Having been presumed dead, this rugged adventurer is now much sought after by every marriage-minded young woman . . . but Bennett only has eyes for the intriguing Lady Phillipa Eddison.
Phillipa would rather read than flirt, but she does know a thing or two about proper courtship rituals. A gentleman does not kiss a lady senseless, and he certainly does not bring his pet monkey when he comes calling. Lady Phillipa's never been so scandalized . . . or tempted. She simply must teach Bennett some manners—before she succumbs to temptation as wild as the man who offers it.

My Review:
Before this book I had never read Suzanne Enoch before, but she was on my reading list for quite some time. I'm glad I finally decided to read this book. It was refreshingly humorous in all of the right places and I enjoyed the pace of the story - with all of its twists that actually didn't come until closer to the end. I didn't mind that one bit. In fact, I think it would have hurt the story had things unfolded differently or too quickly.
Another important duo-factor to me loving this story: the hero & his lady. Captain Bennett Wolfe has been one of the most immediately likable characters I have ever come across. Very worldly, fun, and being a seasoned explorer made him more rugged as a man. Phillipa - or Flip - was also delightful as a heroine. A bluestocking of sorts who has never truly been courted by a man, I loved reading her very much. She was definitely not your normal regency lady - which is why it was so much fun seeing her blossom and fall in love with Bennett. Not to mention both of them sort of fumbling through a barely proper courtship.
That, I think, was one of the most amusing parts of the story as a whole: their romance. A bit unconventional and not without it's flaws and mishaps. One particular bit that stands out in my mind is the part where Bennett brings Flip some flowers: she faints and basically her whole family ends up literally slapping him for it. Only one of the many moments I found myself letting out a laugh at what was happening.
I would like to talk more about the plot, but I don't want to give away those twists I mentioned earlier. The synopsis makes this book sound like any run-of-the-mill romance, but it isn't really. There is one factor to the story that it doesn't even mention, but again, those twists would be spoiled if I did talk about it. So, if you want to know what it is, you shall have to give this book a chance. It involves....proving one's honor as an adventurer and as a man. Which definitely made for a very entertaining read.

No comments: