16 February 2012

The Sinner.

Genre: Historical Romance.
Source: Nook Book.
Rating: 3 out of 5.
Book 2 of 4 in the Return of the Highlander Series.

Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
Alex MacDonald is known for his skill as a warrior, his prowess with women, and his vow to never take a wife. But now his chieftain has asked him to make the ultimate sacrifice: wed Glynis MacNeil, a lass famed throughout the Highlands for her exquisite beauty-and defiant ways.
Familiar with heartbreak, Glynis refuses to fall for another handsome scoundrel. Yet when Alex's past sins force an unlikely union, Glynis gives in to temptation and becomes his wife. Will their new found passion be strong enough to fight the enemy that threatens their home, their clan, and their very lives?

My Review:
Much the same as with the first book in this series, while I was reading this I don't remember enjoying it that much, but, something definitely captivated me enough to bring me all the way through to the end. That something, is what I pin solely on our hero: Alex.

Alex was introduced in the first book as a secondary character, and oh my, he was quite a noticeable secondary character. Which is why I was excited to find out that this second book was his story. While he is definitely a frequent sinner, ahem, he was also just so attractive and charming. Just plain drool-worthy in my book. To be honest, even though most of the heroes in romances have that long hair - which isn't really my thing, I normally do my best to picture them with shorter hair - I had no problem loving Alex and his beautifully described long golden locks. Truly. (Though, I did picture him a little less pretty-boy than the cover model is, lol.) I also found him to be...responsible really...dutiful to those he cared for. I was really glad to see that he took the time and effort to prove himself to Glynis. No matter how (sort of) stubborn she was. But I could definitely understand her being put off by Alex, being the ladies man that he was.
Glynis was really a head-strong heroine, which I loved. I hate reading about heroines who faint/shock easily and blah blah blah. She had a braveness and a cheek to her that I found refreshing. I can't say too much more about her without giving away a few more details of the story, so I will just stop here on Glynis.
I think this book was as good as it was ever going to get, not to say I didn't like or appreciate the author's hard work, but I think the story could have been a little better, the characters a little more well rounded. I definitely saw the potential. Also, by this book I had a bit of a better understanding for the author's style. Which I would describe as a well researched, easy, fun read.
The next book in this series isn't due out until November of this year. I read an excerpt that was available at the end of this e-book, and I already feel so bad for Duncan (the next hero). I can hardly wait to see how his story unfolds further.

No comments: