17 February 2012

Romance Week: Let's Talk Series, Part 2 of 3.

Let's Talk Series: Part Two:  Favorite New Series.

Today I am going to talk about a newly discovered favorite series. I'm only two and a half books in, but I am already so addicted. I have talked about the first two books already this week, but I have lots more to say about the series and characters themselves. :)
The series I am talking about, is Jennifer Ashley's Highland Pleasures series.
If you read my reviews earlier this week on The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie (book 1), and Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (book 2), then you already know how much I love those stories and characters, but there are other characters who I haven't discussed and whose stories won't be out for a little while, that I really want to talk about.
Lord Cameron, first of all, is a character that was introduced in the first book, and I am happy to say that I caved in last night and purchased the e-book format; in which I am already almost half-way through. I can hardly pace myself on reading it, I am loving it that much. But it's not just the characters, it's the author's writing style. It's easy and familiar with just the right amount of humor that has shined through in each of the books in this series that I have read so far. I love it, and it's easy to see why she's one of my favorites.
She always has great characters that are fun to love, and some that are even fun to hate. But I want to talk about the ones I love. Such as Lord Ian. I actually find him a little complex. There's more to him than the average romance hero. I don't really think there's anything typical about him - except for his good looks. Otherwise he is completely refreshing.
There's also something different about Lord Cameron (The Many Sins of Lord Cameron, book 3). The scandal of his past actually. I don't want to give away a spoiler so I won't say anything else about that part. But, I really can't help it: the scars. I don't know what it is or why, but I love tortured and scarred heroes. And then there's his son, Daniel. He's still only a secondary character, but I already really like him.
But I can't go further on with Daniel, until I get a chance to talk about the eldest Mackenzie brother: Hart. (The Duke's Perfect Wife, book 4.) I don't really have much to say about him, because he's been kind of scarce really. But he still has a presence in all of the books. Whether it's been part of a scandal, or just a few lines in a couple of chapters. He's just really mysterious to me right now. But I am really excited about this year, because his book is due out in April. I'm glad I won't have to wait much longer to find out more about him and what happens to him.
There is still one more book ahead of Daniel's story: The Seduction of Elliot McBride, book 5. I don't know anything at all about Elliot McBride, except that he is the brother of Ainsley Douglas, the heroine in The Many Sins of Lord Cameron. So that's all I have to say about him.
Now finally, to Daniel's book (# 6): The Life and Love of Daniel Mackenzie. Unfortunately, books 5 and 6 won't be out until 2013 (but that gives plenty of time to read the other four books). So, I have a long wait ahead of me. I really like Daniel because, even though at times he may seem a little troubled, I can still tell he is a good character. And even though Cameron has struggled from time to time with his upbringing, with Isabella and Beth's help, Daniel is getting on the right path. He's strong-willed and not afraid to stand up to his father and speak his mind. That leads me to another thing I like about Cameron, given his horrible relationship with his father, he's strived to be a better father to his own son, even though he's been in deep water on not really knowing how to do so in the past.
I am so, so glad that I decided to read The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie this year, because who knows how long it would have been on my to-read list, and I wouldn't have found this great series of books for however long, which has quickly become one of my favorites - which I cannot wait to get further in to.

No comments: