15 February 2012

Mine Till Midnight.

Author: Lisa Kleypas
Genre: Historical Romance.
Source: Nook Book.
Rating: 3 out of 5.
Book 1 of 5 in The Hathaways Series.

Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
When an unexpected inheritance elevates her family to the ranks of the aristocracy, Amelia Hathaway discovers that tending to her younger sisters and wayward brother was easy compared to navigating the intricacies of the ton. Even more challenging: the attraction she feels for the tall, dark, and dangerously handsome Cam Rohan.
Wealthy beyond most men's dreams, Cam has tired of society's petty restrictions and longs to return to his "uncivilized" Gypsy roots. When the delectable Amelia appeals to him for help, he intends to offer only friendship--but intentions are no match for the desire that blindsides them both. But can a man who spurns tradition be tempted into that most time-honored arrangement: marriage? Life in London society is about to get a whole lot hotter.

My Review:
(Once again I found the synopsis on the misleading side, but not completely.)
I don't really know where to begin, I guess I will start with the hero. I only found one extremely interesting thing about Cam Rohan: He is a Gypsy. Before picking this book up, I had only read one book (that I remember) that had gypsy characters in it. Honestly, I wasn't that fond of them. I'm still not. But Cam Rohan, and a secondary character - Merripen, are exceptions. I love these two men. But right now I am only talking about Cam. Not to say that he was plain, or dull but, his being a gypsy the most interesting thing about him was because, I had never come across that in a regency romance before. I really liked that because it was different. He was a different type of character. Not some lord of the ton that would be easily scandalized and well, full of himself in a way. Cam was caring, gorgeous, (mostly) unrestricted in his ways, and intelligent.

Amelia on the other hand, well, I liked her well enough, but I never really understood why she refused Cam at first. She was a lovely, strong-willed character, and though her brother was the head of the family age and title-wise, she - I would say, was the real head of the family. She seemed to carry a very large weight on her shoulders and I think Cam helped to take some of it away, but still she refused him - until she absolutely couldn't. I was truly glad when she started to lower the little wall she seemingly had around herself.
The story itself, I really liked - in the very beginning. It started off well enough, with Amelia and Merripen on a sort of crazed search to find her brother, Leo, who was somewhere in London, doing lord knew what for however long. It eventually takes them to Cam, who they first meet in a very amusing scene on the street and after a short search for her brother with Cam's help, ends with him stealing one of her ribbons. I know that sounds innocent enough, and admittedly, a little cheesy, but it's actually the first step in a particularly scorching romance. (I'd call it a courtship, but that is much too innocent a word.)
However, after Cam (shortly) exits the story and the family moves into their newly inherited home, I think it got a little slow. But of course, I always hate that sometimes inevitable pause between the leading characters and their somewhat promised romance. But, it wasn't a very interesting pause, so I won't go further into that part. Once the story moved along a bit more it began to pick up. I got to know the Hathaways a little better, and I found them to be a very amusing, lovable and strong family that does not give up on one another.
I am so glad I decided to take a chance and read this book, by what's turned out to be a new favorite author. Because even though it had a somewhat slow start, I liked the author's style. She wrote it at a good pace (well, most of it) and didn't rush things or use any silly/useless filler in the plot. Which I really appreciated.

No comments: