12 March 2011

Reckless

Author: Cornelia Funke
Genre: YA, Fantasy.
Source: Library Book.
Rating: 3 out of 5.
Book 1 in the Reckless Series.

Synopsis from Goodreads.com:
Beyond the mirror, the darkest fairy tales come alive. . . For years, Jacob Reckless has been escaping to another world--a world behind the mirror, where witches haunt the forests and fairies and dwarfs roam. A world for treasure hunts and magnificent quests--but also a world locked in a deadly war. Jacob's secret seems safe, until one day his younger brother Will follows him, to disastrous consequence. Faced with a curse that is quickly turning Will to stone, the Reckless brothers are thrust into a race against time to find a cure before one of them is lost forever. Inspired by the Brothers Grimm, master storyteller Cornelia Funke introduces a lush, enchanting landscape of fairy tales and legends re-imagined as never before. Reckless is a thrilling adventure and a tale of heroism, filled with danger, mystery, and above all, magic.

Review:
While I was thrilled to get this book from the library, I was a little less thrilled while reading it. I didn't hate it, I liked it, but for some reason I just couldn't push the Inkworld out of my mind. Not to say that the stories were too much alike, they were very different, and each had their own amazing and horrifying characters, but I felt that the worlds were too similar. When reading details about the other world I got the same feel as I did when reading about the Inkworld. Perhaps I should have read Dragon Rider or The Thief Lord in between, it might have been a better idea to read something else of hers in between series'.
I'm glad to say that there was something I did really enjoy about this book though: the illustrations; drawn by the author herself. They were so lovely and sometimes foreboding.
As for the characters, I don't know if I really have a favorite in this book, but if I really had to choose one, I think I would choose Fox. She was very surprising and a perfect companion for Jacob, who really was so reckless at times I just couldn't understand it. I hope all of the characters will be...explained better in the next book. I hardly felt connected to any of them in this one. But by the end of this book, somehow I couldn't help but feel involved with the plot.
I haven't really much else to say, except for the fact that I am planning to read the next book, because I am curious enough about everyone's next moves to continue with this series.

Other cover love:

No comments: